Because some customers travel across county lines to reach their destinations, the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) has special fare policies to make this travel convenient and affordable.
If an RTA route extends more than one mile into an adjoining county, riders using the out-of-county portion must pay a $1 surcharge. This only affects 251 riders who board or get off outside Cuyahoga County.
Passengers transferring to RTA from a transit system outside Cuyahoga County receive one free ride on RTA, if they present a valid transfer from an adjacent transit agency.
Conversely, once a fare is paid on RTA for their return trip, there will be a credit offered to customers transferring to these agencies, in the amount of the RTA fare paid.
- Always pay the fare on the first system you board. A transfer is only valid for one ride on the adjoining system.
- Traveling into Cuyahoga County, ask your driver for a transfer to RTA.
- Leaving Cuyhoga County, ask your RTA driver for a non-valid fare receipt that serves as a transfer.
RTA-Laketran transfer points
- Many Downtown Cleveland stops.
- At the Shoregate Shopping Center, RTA routes 30, 39, 39F connect to Laketran routes routes 3 and 6.
- On East 276th Street in Euclid, between Euclid Avenue and Tungsten Road, RTA route 28 connects to Laketran route 2.
- At the Shops of Willoughby Hills, Laketran route 6 passengers can walk to University Hospital's Richmond Medical Center to connect to RTA route 94.
- Up-to-date information on riding Laketran.
RTA-Medina County Public Transit transfer points
- RTA route 251 serves the Laurel Square in Brunswick.
- Passengers boarding outside Cuyahoga County must pay an out-of-county surcharge with transfer.
- To reach Laurel Square, call Medina County Transit, 330-723-9670, from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, and schedule a ride at least 2 days in advance. Brunswick residents can also call the Brunswick Transit Alernative at the same number.
- Up-to-date information on riding Medina County Transit.
RTA-Stark Area RTA transfer points
- SARTA route 4 serves connects Cornerstone and American Legion in Canton to West Superior and West Prospect in Downtown Cleveland, and the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center in University Circle. From these points, you can transfer to many RTA bus, Rapid, trolley and HealthLine routes.
- Up-to-date information on riding SARTA.
RTA-Akron METRO transfer points
- RTA route 77F on Brecksville Road serves many Downtown stops and the VA Medical Center in University Circle.
- Up-to-date information on riding Akron METRO.
RTA-Portage Area RTA transfer points
PARTA route 100, the Cleveland Express, operates Monday-Friday. It connects to RTA at these points.
- Routes 40, 41, 76 and 90F at the Southgate Transit Center.
- Public Square/Tower City stops at West Prospect and Superior avenues.
- Cleveland State University stops near East 21st Street.
- Up-to-date information of riding PARTA.
For more information, call the RTAnswerline, 216-621-9500.