Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was signed into law in 1990. It:
- Protects the rights of all people without regard to their physical and/or cognitive disabilities.
- States that all persons have a right to use available public transportation.
- Requires that those not able to independently ride public buses be provided with an equivalent, corresponding service for their transportation needs within the established service area.
This corresponding service is called Paratransit. Paratransit service is provided to persons who, because of their disabilities, are unable to independently travel on the public transit system.
Each day, thousands of people choose RTA as a convenient, economical way to get around Greater Cleveland. Services for riders with disabilities include:
- RTA buses with the universal "wheelchair symbol" on the front, complete with wheelchair lifts or ramps to help people board buses safely and easily.
- A bus fleet that is totally accessible.
- ADA-accessible Rapid Transit stations, to help passengers safely ride RTA trains.
If you need more assistance than the standard RTA service offers, you may be eligible for ADA certification to travel on specially equipped Paratransit vehicles.
Are you eligible for ADA certification?
Obtaining an application
Completing the application
Appealing the decision
Travel Training program
Benefits of travel training
Who is eligible?
What does travel training include?
Get started today
Arranging your travel
Calling to schedule a trip? Please remember:
Tips for smooth travel
Using fixed-route service
Paratransit service limits
How to cancel a trip
Personal Care Attendants
Customer behavior policy
Late cancellation policy
Warning and suspension process
Right to appeal
The appeals process
Questions about appeals
For more information
For an ADA application:
- Call 216-566-5124 or
- Call 216-781-4757 (TDD)
To schedule Paratransit service after you have received your ADA ID card:
- click here
- Call 216-621-9500 or
- Call 216-781-6148 (TDD)
If your vehicle has not arrived at the end of your scheduled window of time:
- Call the Paratransit dispatcher, 216-566-5244
For general questions about RTA service:
- Call the RTAnswerline, 216-621-9500
Disability program for bus & rail
This application (link is external) must be completed if you want to participate in RTA's disability program for fixed-route bus and rail, or if you want to recertify your enrollment in the disability program.
To apply for RTA's Fixed-Route Disability Fare program, fill out pages 2 and 3 of the application. A medical professional or social worker must complete pages 4-6. Bring the completed application and $5 to RTA's offices at 1240 West Sixth Street, along with a valid photo ID card.
RTA can only process applications that are completed correctly.
Plan a Trip
Use the automated system to schedule your trip & ride home free
The free ride home promotion is back.
To be eligible for the free ride home, your entire valid trip must be scheduled on-line, or by using the inter-active voice response (IVR) phone line. Just click here, or call 216-621-9500. Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish, and then 3 for Paratransit.
Most trips previously scheduled with a Paratransit Reservation Operator are eligible.
We know you love our Telephone Operators, but they'll understand. Try these hassle-free trip scheduling options today. We know you'll love them, too.