CLEVELAND -- RTA is planning to rebuild the East 116th Street light-rail station, 2780 East 116th St. at Shaker Boulevard, just west of Shaker Square. The station is used by Blue and Green line trains.
- March 4, 2010 -- Held final public meeting, Planning complete.
- Nov. 25, 2013 -- Issued Request for Proposals (RFP)
- March 18, 2014 -- Board awarded design contract to City Architecture for $489,000. Eight Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) firms will share 20 percent of the project.
- Jan. 9, 2018 -- Staff presented an update to the Board.
- The exact date of construction has not been determined. The station is expected to open 20 months after construction begins.
- $6.0 million -- Construction budget
- $7.2 million -- Overall budget
The new station
- Will be renamed the Saint Luke's-East 116th Street Station when construction is complete.
- Be ADA-compliant
- Have Covered stairs, platform canopies, precast platforms and new track
- Includes a standardized signage, lighting and security systems
- Be bicycle-friendly
- Will have a secondary entrance that connects to muse walkway through the Saint Luke's Development and the Intergenerational School. It was funded through an initiative led by the Cleveland Neighborhood Progress and funded by the Saint Luke's Foundation.
- Features public art by Beatrice Coron, funded partially by a grant to Land Studio.
Page updated Jan. 10, 2018
Plan a Trip
The station opened April 11, 1920, when service began from Shaker Square to East 34th Street and downtown.
In 1980 and 1981, the trunk line of the Green and Blue Lines from East 55th Street to Shaker Square was completely renovated with new track, ballast, poles and wiring. New stations were built along the line.
At this station, new platforms and retaining walls were installed, and wooden stairways were replaced by the present covered concrete stairways. The renovated station opened Oct. 30, 1981.
From 1927-1999, the station served the nearby St. Luke's Hospital.