CLEVELAND -- USA Today and its 10best.com Web site have named Cleveland the top city in the country for visitors who want to go car-free. The list includes:
- New York
- Washington, DC
- San Francisco
- Las Vegas
The story said: “The rail connects the Cleveland Airport to downtown, and once there, it’s easy to get around on foot…or free trolley. Rail routes and city buses provide transportation to and from Cleveland’s surrounding neighborhoods and inner-ring suburbs.”
"Perhaps they talked to delegates from the Republican National Convention," said Joe Calabrese, CEO of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA). "“They saw first-hand how easy it is to use RTA. This award means a lot to RTA,” said CEO Joe Calabrese. “All these things we have been saying for so many years…now others are agreeing with us. A great transit system is key for a great tourist city. Let’s keep it going.”
Why visit Cleveland?
The story also listed the top 10 reasons to visit in Cleveland.
“Cleveland often gets a bad rap from out-of-towners, making "The 216" one of the most under-appreciated cities in the U.S. To right this wrong, 10Best is taking a look at 10 of the most important reasons why Cleveland does indeed rock.”
- Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame and many live music venues.
- Playhouse Square, second largest theater district outside of New York City.
- “Beautiful beaches rank among the best parts of a Cleveland summer”.
- The Metroparks, Botanical Gardens, Holden Arboretum, and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Sports champions and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Unique architecture.
- The food, the beer, the wine, Little Italy, West Side Market, breweries and 50 wineries.
- Fun Festivals.
- Diverse visual arts, Cleveland Museum of Art, University Circle.
- Cinema history: A Christmas Story, Captain America, Spiderman, and others were filmed here.