About the Project
The replacement of GCRTA’s current HRV fleet that is 34 years old and the LRV fleet that is 37 years old, with both fleets exceeding their design lives. The project consists of:
- Replacement of 40 Tokyu heavy rail vehicles (HRVs)
- Replacement of 34 Breda light rail vehicles (LRVs)
- Associated infrastructure upgrades to the rail maintenance facility
- Equipment and stations to accommodate the new rail vehicles
- Design, inspection, testing, and force account costs.
In 2018 & 2019, GCRTA conducted a Pillar Study that found that the rail cars were well beyond their useful lives and in need of replacement.
On February 22, 2021 the Request for Proposal was issued. The base contract will be for 18 cars with the option to purchase up to 60. It will take 24 rail cars to replace the heavy rail fleet. Our plan is to purchase additional cars as the funding becomes available over the next several years.
The RFP schedule is:
2/22/2021 RFP issued
3/102021 Pre-Proposal Meeting*
5/19/2021 Proposals due*
8/23/2021 Proposal committee makes recommendation*
10/12/2021 Board Committee Presentation of Recommended Award *
10/26/2021 Board Award of Contract*
12/6/2021 Notice to Proceed*
*These are key milestones. Additional tasks will be completed in-between key milestones.
For the past few months, the Rail Car Replacement team has been busy hosting presentations on Heavy and Light Rail options. The team is excited to undertake this project for the good of our riders, our employees, and our communities. The team’s next steps are:
- Continue to conduct weekly progress meetings with LTK
- Gather technical information to begin assembling the car builder specification
- Identify and coordinate capital projects that will impact rail car procurement
- Receive recommendations as LTK presents options for moving forward
- Make platform decision
- Continue to apply for grant funding
The project is moving ahead on schedule and we expect to solicit for bids on the project by the end of the year.