In support of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority’s (RTA's) Mission, Vision and Values, the following environmental policy statement and commitments were developed to evolve best practices that serve RTA’s value and vision to be a champion of sustainable transportation through environmental and sustainability management:
RTA is committed to protecting the environment as it provides public transit services to Northeast Ohio. We will utilize sound business practices that measure and improve our environmental and sustainability performance through a formal Environmental and Sustainability Management System (ESMS). The ESMS will be integrated throughout the Authority to create a healthier and more livable environment for the staff, customers and community we serve. RTA will make the following environmental commitments:
- Communicate and advance the use of environmental practices and strategic frameworks throughout RTA.
- Comply with all applicable local, state, federal, and other environmental laws, regulations, standards and monitoring requirements.
- Make protection of the environment an integral part of planning and decision-making processes and implement effective environmental and sustainability programs.
- Prevention of pollution and conservation of resources by reducing waste, creating better disposal options, recycling, identifying and managing renewable resource options, and procuring new and better products and technologies.
- Establish an ESMS that will be documented, implemented, and maintained.
- Commit to continual improvement by reviewing and enhancing RTA’s ESMS program and environmental performance at appropriate intervals to meet objectives and support on-going performance excellence strategies.
- Engage and empower the workforce and community through effectively communicating RTA’s Environmental Policy Statement and Commitment.
This policy applies to all employees, departments and functions throughout the Authority. Full participation by all staff is required in order to meet the commitments set forth in this policy. This policy will be communicated to all persons, including contractors and vendors, working for or on behalf of RTA.
Adopted: Nov. 21, 2017, Board Resolution No. 2017-101