Jun 6, 2017
CLEVELAND – The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) today is announcing a local summer travel and tourism promotion that allows families to travel on RTA at a significantly reduced rate.
The “GO RTA” summer fun program allows up to three children 12 and under to ride RTA free when accompanied by a fare-paying adult, age 18 or older. The promotion runs between Saturday, June 10, and Sunday, Aug. 6.
“RTA is connecting the dots this summer and making it cheaper and easier for those who want to see the sites, tour local destinations and just be on vacation without ever leaving town,” said RTA CEO and General Manager Joe Calabrese
“There are so many great destinations that you and your children can enjoy throughout Northeast Ohio, and RTA wants to save you money and to help you get there,” he said.
RTA is working with a host of partners to provide awareness of the many family-friendly opportunities, and to help get customers there in the most fun, convenient and affordable way possible.
Fun at a discount
“By showing your RTA fare card or mobile ticket, you can get discounts at many restaurants and venues in the area,” Calabrese said. Plan your trip to participating partners here. They include:
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Museum of Natural History, Western Reserve Historical Society, Botancial Gardens, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
- Blackbird Baking Co., Daily Press, Dewey's Coffee, Fear's Confections, Happy Dog, Melt Bar & Grilled, Merwin's Wharf, Passengers Cafe, Piccadilly, Pour Cleveland, Qdoba, Tremont Scoops, Tabletop Cafe, The Wine Spot
- Greater Cleveland Aquarium, Great Lakes Science Center, 41 North Kayak Adventures, Vision Yoga
- Cleveland Clothing Co., Cleveland Cinemas
- Special events and give-a-ways at the Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Public Library, Edgewater Live, EucFest, Parade the Circle, and Wade Oval Wednesdays
RTA expects that this promotion will:
- Increase ridership by encouraging trips that would otherwise not have been taken
- Introduce families to the convenience and benefits of riding RTA. This could increase future ridership.
- Help promote all that Northeast Ohio has to offer. This includes RTA.
Calabrese said that the idea was developed because the cost of taking a vacation away can be prohibitive for some.
"There is so much to do and see in this region, and RTA can make it easier and even more cost effective for locals to take their vacation right here," Calabrese said.
“We knew we could be the vehicle to help make local vacations even more possible. RTA is excited to take this first step to offer free rides, and in future years, hopes to work with even more great civic partners to expand this promotion to include discounts at more local venues,” he said.
Calabrese said the Go RTA children's poem best describes the promotion:
You’ll have fun all the summer
You’ll be seeing great sights
On the bus, on the train
From morning 'til night!
To the Zoo, to the library,
To the Lake Erie shores
Quick hop on a train
Just to see where it goes
If you’re 18 or older
With three kids you can be
You pay Two Fifty,
And the children, they’re free
So go get some ice cream
Play in the park on your way
Ride free all this summer
When you GO RTA!
~ by Linda Krecic
Linda Scardilli Krecic