CLEVELAND, OH -- We’re hiring! The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) is pleased to announce that it is launching a recruitment effort to hire more bus drivers and mechanics.
Importantly, bus driver candidates are not required to already have a CDL. RTA provides the training. And RTA offers competitive salaries, benefits and college reimbursement, among other incentives.
"RTA is looking for local talent to join our team," said RTA’s Acting General Manager/CEO, Floun’say Caver. "We are excited to be hiring bus drivers as well as mechanics and to be an important part of spurring on the economic recovery that we are all hoping to generate post-Covid."
Once hired, RTA offers free training at Tri-C to prepare candidates to take the temporary CDL test. Once operator candidates have obtained the temporary CDL, then they begin the 12-week training program.
"We’re promoting the competitive pay, great benefits, and the promising career path that comes with working at RTA," Caver said.
"RTA is proud to be an employer of choice – not because someone can just get a job, but because they can launch their career," Caver said. "With more than 40% of our positions filled through promotions, it’s easy for us to say we put employees in the driver’s seat of their career path and provide opportunities for advancement along the way."
RTA regularly needs to hire part-time and full-time drivers (bus, paratransit, and rail) to keep up with the ability to connect the community. In any given month, 10 to 12 drivers retire from employment, and it is critical to have a pipeline of qualified candidates to replace them.
RTA offers a wide range of comprehensive benefits and programs to support the health and wellness of employees and family members including health benefits (medical, dental and vision), a wellness incentive program and participation in the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System (OPERS). The training wage for drivers is $16 per hour. Once training is complete, the current starting wage for our bus/rail operators is $18+ per hour, but pay advancement is rapid and by the end of the first five years the pay is $31+ per hour.
Bus driver candidates:
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be 19 years old and have a minimum of 3 years driving experience and at least 2 years of customer service experience.
- Have a good driving record with no more than 2 points in the past 3 years.
- Participate in a 10 to 12-week training course on various shifts (day, evening, weekend)
- Complete the assessment and an interview, then the pre-employment process
- Must be able to pass a rigorous post-offer medical exam in accordance with Department of Transportation requirements
RTA is also seeking skilled and energetic mechanics to provide hands-on support for the maintenance of RTA’s bus fleet. Mechanics start at $23+ per hour and, like drivers, advance rapidly in pay increases. After just four years of full-time work, mechanics earn more than $33 per hour. Promotional opportunities in vehicle maintenance, troubleshooting and repair are plentiful.
Mechanics will be required to:
- Repair buses, Paratransit vehicles, non-revenue vehicles, and associated equipment.
- Perform one or more of the following functions:
- Engine Diagnosis
- Engine Replacement
- Engine and Small Parts Rebuilding
- Transmission Replacement
- Differential Replacement and/or Rebuild
- Front End
- Suspension/Steering Work
- Transmission Rebuilding
- General Maintenance
Mechanic candidates must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent and have completed a high school or post-high school Automotive/Diesel Technology or related program (as evidenced by diploma, degree, certificate, etc.).
Additionally, candidates must:
- Have one year of verifiable experience in an automotive or truck shop maintaining and repairing vehicle systems (e.g., engines, transmissions, brakes, and steering and suspension), which may substitute for completion of an automotive/diesel technology program.
- Have a valid State of Ohio Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or B with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements or a temporary CDL, Class A or B with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements.
- Have a good driving record with no more four points in the past three years.
- Pass a written test, a performance test, and interview.
- Provide ongoing training as technology changes
To apply please visit www.rideRTA.com/careers or call 216-356-3306 for more information.