Mar 24, 2020
CLEVELAND, OH – The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) will begin airing an audio message on board its buses and trains today to remind customers of new physical distancing guidance while riding public transportation.
In order to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus, RTA is asking riders to observe the following guidelines:
- Maintain a distance between passengers of at least 6 feet, if possible
- Limit conversations with others and the operator. If you must speak with the operator, please stand behind the yellow line
- Exit from the rear of the vehicle
Car cards will also be posted on all vehicles with the same reminders. Signs are also posted on seats directing customers where to sit in order to maintain distance between other seated passengers.
Additional measures to keep RTA customers and operators safe from the spread of COVID-19 include an enhanced cleaning protocol for all buses, trains, paratransit and non-revenue. Effective March 9, RTA staff have been disinfecting all touchable surfaces on board its vehicles with a cleaning agent recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) every 24 hours. This also includes non-revenue and Transit Police vehicles, all Transit Centers and all RTA public facilities, bus districts and office buildings.
Additionally, bus and rail operators and other staff have been provided with disinfectant wipes to clean their work areas routinely throughout the day.
RTA is following the directives issued by local and state officials and the CDC. Here are a few reminders:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, and use hand sanitizer when available
- Data shows that the incidents of flu and cold are cut by 50% simply by washing your hands. Data also shows that some 30% of people fail to wash their hands throughout the day. We can’t emphasize enough the importance of regular hand washing
- Cover coughs and sneezes with the inside of your elbow
- Keep hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, please stay at home to reduce the risk of spreading any illness
- Clean and disinfect surfaces routinely