A CSU student takes a shortcut from a HealthLine station

U-Pass is short for “Universal Pass.” RTA offers a discounted transit pass to students at participating colleges and universities. The pass enables students to ride RTA anywhere, at any time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does U-Pass cost?

A: At most colleges, U-Pass costs $25 a semester. All students are automatically charged for a U-Pass on their bursar account, whether they pick it up or not.

Q: How does RTA service the campus?
A: Numerous bus routes from all parts of Cuyahoga County provide service in and around area campuses. Students can also ride the Red, Blue or Green Rapid transit lines, or the HealthLine, and transfer to a bus that goes to their campus.

Route Schedules

System Map

Rapid System Map with connections

Q: Who is eligible to participate in U-Pass? How is it distributed?

A: Here is the answer for each school in the U-Pass program.

Case Western Reserve University: All full-time undergraduate students (registered for 12 hours or more) are eligible. Go to the Access Services Office in Crawford 18, or call 216-368-2273.

Cleveland Institute of Art: All full-time students are eligible. Go to the Office of Student Life in Crawford 14 (on the CWRU campus), or call 216-421-7000.

Cleveland Institute of Music: All part-time and full-time conservatory students are eligible. Go to the Office of Student Affairs, Front Security Desk, or call 216-791-5000.

Cleveland State University: All undergraduate, graduate and law students taking one or more credit hours on the CSU Main Campus are eligible. Go to the Treasury Services Office, Room 15 in the Main Classroom Building, or call 216-687-5249. In April 2014, CSU students voted overwhelmingly (93 percent) to approve a six-year extension of the U-Pass program.

Cuyahoga Community College (TriC): An 18-month pilot program started Jan. 1, 2014. All eligible students enrolled for the full 16-week, 14-week and first 8-week sessions receive their U-Pass via U.S. Mail. The pass are sent to the address on file with the College Registrar, once enrollment is confirmed. Students who enroll after a semester begins can pick up their U-Pass at their Campus Enrollment Center. There is no cost to the student. See the video below.

Q: Can I use the U-Pass for other trips?

A: Yes. The U-Pass allows students to make unlimited trips and transfers on RTA. It can be used 24/7 for everything from shopping in Coventry to barking at the Dawg Pound in FirstEnergy Stadium.

Q: Is the U-Pass good year-round?

A: The U-Pass is re-issued each semester, and can be used one week prior to the fall semester. Plus, it covers the break between fall and spring semesters.

Q: Can students petition to be exempt from the program?

A: No, it isn’t an opt-in/opt-out program. This allows all students to receive a drastically reduced rate. RTA conducts student surveys annually to gauge the level of satisfaction with the U-Pass program.

Q: Who can I contact for more information on U-Pass?

A: Call 216-781-4764, or send e-mail to RTA Sales Director Jim Frick.

Plan a Trip

(e.g. Hopkins Airport)
(e.g. Rivergate Park)

Date Field